To keep the amount of fat in this recipe to a minimum, I would suggest you pop the corn using an electric hot air popcorn machine, or in the microwave oven, instead if a pot with oil.
Parcelled into pretty bags, this also makes a nice simple gift for children's parties, fêtes and other celebrations.
1/2 Cup Popping Corn
2 tbs Honey
3/4 Cup White Sugar
- Prepare the popcorn using your desired method.
- In a small saucepan combine the chopped butter, sugar and honey and stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved (5 minutes or so).
- Then increase the heat a little and bring the mixture to the boil, regularly stirring to ensure the caramel does not burn.
- Continue to boil and stir for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture has a light golden colour. Remove from the stove.
- Place the popped corn into a VERY large bowl, or split into two large bowls, as you will need a lot of room to stir the caramel into the corn and it gets VERY HOT.
- Gradually distribute the caramel over the corn by slowly drizzling the mixture over it and combine well. I find a silicon spatula works best for this. If any corn falls out of your bowl when mixing, DO NOT pick it up with your bare fingers as you may get quite a burn from the caramel. Continue to stir, to break up the corn and cool it a little.
- Turn the mixture out onto a non-stick baking tray or lightly greased tray, pressing into a single layer if possible. Allow to cool.
- Break into bite sized pieces.